Friday, January 05, 2007

Eating Kosher??

We had to take Zoe to the pediatrician today since I found blood in her diaper yesterday. I've had trouble feeding her sometimes--she just screams and cries--and often acts like her tummy hurts. At first I attributed it to reflux, but that is doing a lot better and we were able to stop her medication. I also thought it may be due to an oversupply of milk that was causing her to be so fussy and not eat well. However based on the bloodwork they did today, the doctor now thinks Zoe's symptoms are from a milk protein allergy. I can do one of two things--start her on soy-based formula or cut out all dairy products. At first it seemed fairly simple--no cheese, milk, yogurt, butter, etc. But I started reading the diet they gave me and its amazing how many products have milk or have been manufactured in plants that make other products with milk. Even the slicer in the grocery store deli needs to be cleaned from slicing cheese before slicing meat. One of the items the diet mentioned looking for is pareve foods. They generally have not been exposed to milk during processing. It occurred to me that if I start using some of the Kosher cooking methods, I will have more access to recipes already designed to eliminate dairy products since meat and dairy are not mixed in the same meal. I am wondering if any of you have had this problem with a child and what choices you made for feeding them. I'd love to hear your ideas or suggestions. Its a relief to finally know what is causing the upset tummy and feeding issues.

2 comments:

S said...

I'm glad you found the problem, but feel sorry for you to have to give up such great food! I think the hardest for me was pizza. Plus, a lot of foods with dairy are 'quick' foods which you need having a young infant. Maybe you can try doing some crock-pot recipes, etc then you won't be tied up in the kitchen, or you could cook ahead for the week on Saturday when Paul is home. What am I giving you these ideas for? You are the expert cook!

Anonymous said...

Hi Emily! I'm having some R and R this weekend (finally!) and have just now read all your blogs. Zoe is such a bright-eyed smart looking baby. How well I know how life changes with a baby! And in a wonderful way!
I'm sorry about the dietary problems. The only way I can relate is that I had some problems with nursing early on and went through a lot of stress and some expense to correct it. I nursed and bottle-fed Elizabeth until 10 months. But looking back, I wish I hadn't anguished over it so much and been more carefree to simply enjoy my baby. But who can be carefree with their first child?! Smile. Anyway, my spur of the moment reaction to reading your dilemma is just give Zoe soy products and be happy ... Enjoy her and de-stress as much as possible. Trying to eat "kosher" sounds like way too much work and trouble. Life is too short!! But that's coming from an oldie... Ha!Best wishes whatever route you take.