Saturday, May 19, 2007

What We've Been Up To....

Last weekend was my first Mother's Day. We had a luncheon here and my family and mother-in-law came over. It was a very special day. At church Zoe thought that I did not need to hear the pastor's sermon and should instead come take care of her. I was three-quarters of the way through the service and my number came up for the nursery. She was tired and hungry and the poor nursery workers could not get her quiet. It reminded me of what this day was all about--the joy (and sacrifice) of being a mother.

I'm learning that being a mother brings sacrifice. Gone are the days of doing anything leisure without a little girl involved. I have to put aside my personal desires when she needs care or thinks she needs attention (another reason why I have so many blog posts in my head and not on this blog)! :-) But being a mother also brings untold joy. Seeing this little child, this precious gift from God is so wonderful. Watching her face light up when I come into the room is such a privilege. Just doing daily activities and having her around makes life a lot more fun. It also makes me so much more appreciative of our mothers and what they have done for us.

Paul also treated me to getting my hair done and watched Zoe while I was there. They went shopping and when I met up with them, Zoe was almost asleep. It was nice to get pampered a little and not have to keep one eye on a baby. Thanks, Dear!

In other news, Paul passed another certification recently. Zoe has started pulling herself up and transferring from coffee table to couch to toy. Last night she pushed a package of paper towels across the floor and walked behind it (that was a first). Also, Paul has taken a few vacation days this week, so we have been chilling a little. For me it has been a great way to get caught up on the things I haven't been able to do when I'm working from home. I also had the chance to go pick some strawberries with Shannon and hope to go again next week for peas. That's been life here. I have lots of pictures of Zoe that will be coming shortly. We are having family over for dessert tonight since there are fireworks at the Jubilee. It will be interesting to see how Zoe likes fireworks. I'll be sure to include that in a future post.

1 comment:

Karis said...

I totally understand what you mean about the joy of being a mother but also the selflessness that is required and for me, that selflessness goes against my nature at the most inopportune times. Obviously, with the Holy Spirit's help, I had chances to be choose selflessness before kids, but I could kinda' schedule in time for me too. What a blessing it is to be a mom, though! Glad you had a good Mother's Day.

Kayla went to the Chesapeake Jubilee last year, and she wasn't scared of the fireworks but she wasn't overly impressed either. She preferred to just crawl around the blanket and enjoy the outdoors. I will be interested to see what Zoe thought.