Monday, October 22, 2007

And Its A Pink Little Cast

The orthopedic surgeon was able to see Zoe first thing this morning and his diagnosis was a broken arm. He did not take another X-ray since he thought cartilage was hiding the fracture and it would not show up. I learned something new at least--toddlers very seldom ever sprain anything and toddler's fractures as they are called are fairly common.
And Zoe slept through the whole examination and only woke when they were completing the cast. That was a blessing! She did cry out during the exam when the doctor twisted her wrist (which was his confirmation it was broken), but she went right back to sleep. It may have been the Tylenol I gave her, but I felt like God helped her stay asleep too. For Zoe to sleep like that is unusual, so I was very thankful.
Zoe will have to wear this cast for the next 3 weeks. The cast is much lighter than the splint, doesn't pull her shoulder and accommodates clothing with sleeves. Once the cast was on, Zoe felt the cast and then her other arm trying to figure out what this thing was. It was rather comical.
After we left the doctor's office, I took Zoe to see her Aunt Hannah at work. We got a cup of soup and a muffin to share there and had lunch while Hannah was on break. And I learned one advantage to this cast there--when your child is holding her purse in one hand, she can't grab displays with the other. However the cons outweigh the pros, so I'm glad its only 3 weeks.








4 comments:

Karis said...

Wow -- I can't believe she slept through that even with Tylenol. I mean -- it wasn't adult Tylenol PM was it? :-) She is smiling big in the pictures. I'm sorry she (and you guys) are having to go through this, but she seems to be a trooper.

I had to laugh at your comment about her not being able to pull at displays if one hand was occupied because we were at the thrift shop today and apparently Kayla was playing the game "how many clothes can I grab off the hanger and do I get extra points if I do it while the cart is moving".

S said...

So Zoe got to meet Esther's cast friends? That looks so very familiar! We saved Esther's cast to show her when she gets bigger. WE went to the surgeon on the 1st floor of Ches peds. is that who you saw? We had an EXCELLENT experience there. My mom was there with us for it and she agreed too. Unfortunately Esther didn't sleep through the casting though- that would've been nice. Instead it took 4 of us to hold her down.

T.J. and Shannon said...

Poor Zoe! I just found out. I'm glad that it wasn't too serious. She does look adorable in that pink cast.

Don & Katrina Hines said...

Awww! Poor girl. She looks like she is still pulling through and being strong for you. We'll be praying for her speedy recovery! I do think the pink cast is so cute though! =)