Saturday, September 29, 2007

What Would You Eat?

Zoe had her one year appointment this week. Other than the fact that she remembered what happened about a month ago when she had the flu, it went very well. She cried during the weight check and when the doctor examined her like she knew something bad was going to happen. Then she got happy until the nurses came in for the shots and she realized she wasn't home free after all.
Dr. Barkeley said we should start introducing dairy into her diet now. I have been nursing her 4-6 times a day partly because of the allergy issue. Once we know if she can tolerate dairy products, I will start weaning her.
We went to the store afterwards for a few groceries and it felt very weird not to have to worry about ingredients. I also had to resist the temptation not to buy everything in sight that I haven't been able to eat. I finally decided on taking it slow and starting Zoe on yogurt once she is over the effects of the vaccinations. And I decided it is probably better for me to gradually ease into it also and not overload her system since she still nurses a lot. So I left the pizza behind and put the ice cream back and settled on yogurt and milk and cheese.
I haven't given Zoe any dairy directly yet, but I have started eating foods with cheese on them again. And Paul ordered pizza for us last night since I hadn't had pizza with cheese for nine months. I did not eat much, but it tasted wonderful! And I went to a brunch this morning and ate small portions of Quiche and Cream Cheese Danish and a few other items. This is actually taking some getting used to since I either brought my own food or drove the hostess crazy trying to find out what was in the dish and its become somewhat ingrained.
I am taking my time with this because I don't what to eat too much and start enjoying it again only to find out Zoe is still having a reaction. And I almost feel guilty for eating "good" food again. However I am definitely enjoying it! I'm curious to know what would your first food be if you had to be without dairy or soy for awhile and then were allowed to have it again?

1 comment:

Karis said...

My first thought would be pizza. Pizza wouldn't seem like pizza to me without cheese... you've been a trooper! I really hope this trial stage goes well.